Quick Tips for When You Experience A Fire Damage!
Restoring fire damage can be extremely difficult and we keep getting questions from people asking what to do to start cleaning up after a fire. Here are some quick tips on what to do and what not to do when you feel fire and smoke damage.
Here are some tips on what to do when you feel fire and smoke:
- If the temperature is above 60 degrees, ventilate the house to reduce the smell of smoke.
- Clean laminate surfaces including chrome, porcelain, and aluminum elements to avoid permanent stains or scratches.
- Replace the air filter on your furnace if using hot air.
- Tape a wet muslin cloth to the back and shipping tabs to trap soot in the air.
- Discard all open food packaging.
- In case of power failure, clean the refrigerator and leave the door open.
What not to do:
- Don’t touch anything with your naked hands. Oil from your hands can seep into upholstery, walls, and windows, causing further damage.
- Do not wash the walls. Improper cleaning can cause soot residue to mix.
- Do not try to clean rugs or upholstered furnishings.
- Don’t use electrical equipment until you have inspected it.
- Don’t use ceiling wires when the ceiling is wet.
Tragedies like fires can be very traumatic. The experts at SERVPRO are always there for you. We offer 24*7 Fire damage cleanup services in Fairfax, Vienna, Oakton, and work quickly and efficiently without compromising on quality.
SERVPRO is committed to helping you, your family, and your home return to normal as soon as possible.